Disclaimer

The author of this blog does not advocate hate or unprovoked violence against any group. The purpose of this blog is to provide the very best information regarding philosophy, mindset training, and technique for the Christian Martialist in their broader Biblical, theological and cultural contexts. Nothing posted here should be construed as promoting or excusing hostile speech or acts toward anyone.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Songs I Grew Up With: Wolverton Mountain

I was in my teens when I first heard this song, and I identified with the young man who would risk his life to wed his true love. After I married and fathered four daughters, I found that I tended to see the mountain man's side of things more clearly. I especially liked the "mighty handy with a gun and a knife" part.

As an interesting sidelight, mountain man Clifton Clowers really existed. His nephew wrote him into the song for fun. Wikipedia reports:

Clifton T. Clowers was born on 30 October 1891, at Center Ridge, Arkansas, son of Jefferson Davis and Mary Prince Clowers. In July 1919 he married Esther Bell. He was a veteran of World War I and a Deacon in Mountain View Baptist Church. He became immortalized in the 1960s when his nephew, Merle Kilgore Clowers, wrote "Wolverton Mountain" He lived most of his life on a farm located on the northern edge of the mountain, the mountain's name being spelledWoolverton.

On his 100th birthday, Clowers was visited by the writers of the song, Claude King and Merle Kilgore.

Clowers died aged 102 on Monday, 15 August 1994 at his home in Clinton, Arkansas, and was buried at the Woolverton Mountain Cemetery.


No comments:

Post a Comment